Do you often get the “nw-31205-1” error code in PS4. And you are unable to find a fix for it. Then this article is just for you. In the following writing, we mention some popular and working methods for you to fix nw-31205-1 error in PS4 and resolve internet issues.
- 1 What causes the nw-31205-1 error code ?
- 2 Final verdict
What causes the nw-31205-1 error code ?
The nw-31205-1 error is also called “cannot connect to the internet”. Now anyone who has ever connected to the internet before will know that there are shockingly huge amount of ways for internet to break. It can be poor connection speed or poor network coverage. Perhaps a recent change in internet settings broke something. But there are fixes and workarounds which hopefully should resolve your issue at the moment. Lets check out the fixes one by one.
1. Change the DNS settings in your PS4 to fix nw-31205-1
DNS helps in locating other computers / servers on the internet. Some faulty DNS settings can lead to the NW-31205-1 error. We will need to change the DNS settings in the PS4. To do that
- Open the main menu of the PS4
- Search for network settings
- Click on set up internet connection
- Choose your internet type , wifi or LAN cable. We recommend LAN cable as they are faster and more reliable.
- Select Manual under “how you want to choose network settings”
- You can leave the IP settings to their defaults.
- Under DNS settings, make sure you enter the following DNS
primary : 22.214.171.124 or 126.96.36.199 ( google )
Secondary : 188.8.131.52 or 184.108.40.206 ( google )
Another option is Open DNS : 220.127.116.11 in both primary and secondary.
- You can leave the MTU settings to their defaults
- Select “use no proxy” under proxy settings.
- Finally save your settings and exit.
Now that you have setup a new internet configuration, its time to test it. Under network settings, find “test connection” and click on it to tst your connection. Hopefully the PS4 is connected to the internet now and nw-31205-1 error is fixed now.
2. Reset your router and PS4 to fix nw-31205-1 error
If the first step did not work for you, then maybe the settings have been saved but not being applied. All we need is a simple reset now. It might sound simple but it is definitely worth a go.
- First disconnect your router from your power supply.
- Disconnect all wires and power supply from your PS4 after shutting it down.
- After a couple of minutes, plug everything back in and boot your PS4
- Try to connect to the internet now by going through network settings.
If anything held back your internet after method 1, it should surely fix using this method. If you see successful in the network status result then you have fixed nw-31205-1 error.
3. Changing some router settings
If you are using wifi connection, then maybe your router is set to some settings that do not allow the PS4 to connect. If nw-31205-1 error code just started showing up and was not an issue before, then your router most likely is not the problem. But still, make sure the following ports are not blocked by your router
TCP: 80, 443, 3478, 3479, 3480
UDP: 3478, 3479
To check the router settings, you will need to log into the admin’s panel. Check for the username and password below the base plate of the router. Type in the following credentials on your PC’s browser. Once you are in, follow the steps.
- Find WLAN settings and you will see a list of ports straightaway.
- One by one enter all the port numbers into the field and save your settings after each step.
- Once done, save your settings and exit.
Reset the router by unplugging it from the power supply for sometime. Then plug it in back in position and try connecting the PS4 again. You should see that the nw-31205-1 error goes away now.
4. Some tips to improve internet connection and fix nw-31205-1 error
The nw-31205-1 error error in PS4 occurs when the PS4 fails to connect to the internet. Here are some tips or simple checks you can perform to improve existing internet connection.
- Use a 2.4 Ghz wifi : You might have heard 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz wifi bands. Well the 5 Ghz band is for higher speeds but over a smaller coverage area. And conversely, the 2,4 Ghz band is for slower connection but covers wider area. By switching to 2.4 Ghz wifi, you can be sure that your PS4 is in good range of the wifi coverage.
- Check if a lot of devices are connected on the network : If a lot of devices are connected on the same network, chances are they will slow down the network. Because each device uses a fixed amount of band-width, the PS4 might not be able to get the working band-width it needs. If that is the case around you, just try again later when there are no active users.
- Use Ethernet or wired internet : We have mentioned this before. Wired internet is extremely fast and reliable than wireless internet. Many internet related bottlenecks and errors occur due to a slower connection. You can also check your internet connection by going to fast.com and see if the slow speeds are causing issues in PS4
5. Try the online troubleshooter / contact your ISP
Sony have a website dedicated for helping to resolve internet and connection related issues with your PS4 consoles. You can try out their online troubleshooters by going to support.playstation.com
Also contact your ISP or your internet service provider to help you out with your internet connection. Try upgrading to faster internet.
The nw-31205-1 error or the “can not connect to internet” error is quite common for any PS4 user. But using the fixes mentioned above you will be able to solve the issue in no time. Feel free to comment below and add any other methods that worked out for you to fix nw-31205-1 error in PS4. Cheers and peace : )