A port is simply a place where 2 or more people, devices or objects connect. Kind of like a port where the ships are harbored. Port forwarding means forwarding ports to your device so that your device can connect to the server on these ports. Here your device is the PS4 console. We will see port forwarding in ps4. But this tutorial should also work for other devices.
How are ports useful ?
Ports in computing are where devices connect to one another. For example , the SMTP or the simple mail transfer protocol, connects on port is port 25. That means that any device that wants to send mails connects to the server computer on it’s port number 25. Likewise, there are many ports for TCP ( transmission control protocol ) and UDP ( user datagram protocol ).
Alright, why should I care for all these protocols ? Well, read on
Must Read: Download PS3 Emulator for Android
Why port forwarding to ps4?
Till now we have seen what are ports. Now we will see what is port forwarding in ps4. You see , there are some important data transmission protocols such as TCP and UDP. While playing online games like on your PS4 , it is an absolute must for you to be able to connect on all servers from other countries.
Port forwarding in ps4 is especially useful if you ever need to change the NAT type on your ps4. If your NAT type is set to strict mode, then you will not be able to host games or create rooms and will experience problems with voice chat and others.
Sometimes if this is not enabled, then you might not be able to connect with other players. Moreover you will receive less speed and high ping when you try to connect to other servers. Wow , now I am interested in port forwarding in ps4. Lets see how it’s done.
port forwarding in PS4 explained
Port forwarding in ps4 requires you to have a router. The router routes all the internet traffic to your ps4. You will need the router login and password.
- For your user IP and password, check the back plate of your router
- You will find a sticker that contains that information
- If you are unable to find your router’s admin password , you need to contact your ISP
Now we have everything we need to log into administrator settings of your router. This is where we will enable port forwarding.
To get the IP address of your PS4
In port forwarding we need 2 things. One of which is the IP address of the device, here your PS4. To find the IPv4 address of your PS4,
- Go to menu in your PS4 and go to Settings
- Under network settings, find the option that says view connection status
- Click this option and wait for the results. The results that come out look something like this.
We are interested in the IP address. The IP address doesn’t change even if we power off the PS4 and turn it back on. All you need to do now is save the IP address for later. This step is now complete.
Now we have the PS4’s IP address. Let’s now log into our router’s admin panel and see settings from there.
- Open a web browser on your PC ( which is connected to the internet via the router , of course )
- Now type in the search bar the login IP that we earlier saw from the back of our router.
- Usually it’s 192.168.0.1
- Enter your password in the popup that appears.
- Your router’s admin panel will open once you complete these easy steps.
- Now once we are in there, we need to find the port forwarding section
- The setting will have a different name depending on your browser. Sometimes it shows under names such as “virtual servers” or “applications and services” or “apps or games”
- If you can not find it, it surely is hiding under firewall section, or security section. Either way, you will be able to find it by doing a little digging.
Once you have found out the port forwarding section, rest work is easy. Just make sure your port forwarding section looks something like this.
Actual port forwarding
The ports that we want to forward to our PS4 are
- TCP: 80, 443, 1935, 3478-3480
- UDP: 3478-3479
These numbers are the port numbers that we are looking for.
- You will need to type in the PS4’s IP address that we found out earlier. If you haven’t , check the above passages for that.
- In the port number section, type in these above mentioned port numbers (TCP: 80, 443, 1935, 3478-3480 , UDP: 3478-3479)
- For each setting, you will need to save your settings every time.
- Repeat for all the ports.
Now it’s time to test our settings
Once the above ports are forwarded to your PS4’s IP address ( or your ps4 simply ) , just save your settings and exit. We will check the connection status once again in the PS4. Hopefully this will change the NAT type and ease the restrictions on the network.
Now just go to your PS4 settings and select “view connection status”
If followed all the steps and did everything right, then congratulations ! The correct TCP and UDP ports are being forwarded correctly onto your PS4. That means that your connection is now improved, your NAT type is now moderate or open. Now it’s time to enjoy the games !
Note: If the only goal of your port forwarding in ps4 was changing the NAT type, also do try connecting to a VPN or disabling router’s firewall. These will also help you change your NAT type.
Our final verdict
In this guide we showed you step by step how to forward some TCP and UDP ports onto your PS4’s IP address. If you want to forward ports to other devices, the procedure is very similar. We hope that this tutorial helped you. Feel free to comment down below your thoughts and any other tips that you would like to share. Cheers and Peace.